18 Feb Cold Weather Skin Care Tips
Here are a few tips to keep your skin soft and glowing in cold weather:
• You may have a moisturizer that you love, but the changing weather conditions also mean it is time to change your moisturizer. Switch to a rich, hydrating cream or layer a hydrating serum under your current moisture cream.
• Sunscreen isn’t just for the summer. UV rays from winter sun and snow glare can also be damaging to the skin. Don’t forget to use SPF on your hands too.
• We all love taking hot showers and baths, especially after spending time out in the cold. But hot water dries out the skin by breaking down its lipid barriers. It is best to keep hot showers brief. If you need a little extra time make sure to turn down the water temperature. Don’t forget to apply moisturizer after drying your skin.
• When washing your face, use a mild foaming cleanser or gentle milky cleanser. Avoid any toners or astringents with alcohol. Steer clear of any harsh peels or clay-based masks that may dry out the skin. Look for masks that are deeply hydrating.
• Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Keeping hydrated helps the skin look young and fresh. Additionally, there are many other health benefits to drinking water that make hydration super important!
• Don’t forget about your hands. The skin on our hands is thinner with fewer oil glands, which makes it difficult to keep hands moist during cold weather. Avoid dry, cracked skin by keeping hands moisturized and wearing gloves when outside. Always apply an ultra hydrating hand cream before going to bed.
• See a skin care specialist for a customized skin care regimen to fit your skin type and the season.